Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Journey

I have often wondered about the person behind the words that I read on a blog. Who are they? What are the circumstances that got them to the place that they are at now? This blog entry is about just that.

More than 25 years ago I graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point with the desire to use my early childhood degree to change the world! I felt at the time that the best place for my talents was working with the youngest of students. I wanted to affect them when they were so alive and impressionable. In a few years I had married, born twin sons and my priorities had changed. It made no sense for me to work outside our home and be a teacher to others. The next 10 years I became a stay at home mother, parenting and being actively involved in my 3 children's lives, including their public school education.

I had not given much thought to technology while a student in high school or college. I didn't take and had not wanted to take typing class because I was going to be the boss not the secretary. My feminist spirit was quite strong. How changed the world is compared to then.

My sons were not "truck, tractor or sports" kids. They were scientists, questioners, book readers and had a passion for computer games. Before they were 10, they knew more about the computer than I did which was a slight embarrassment to me. Computers not the television became the technology of choice in our home. It was time to learn how to type!

When my daughter started 1st grade I was fortunate to get a teaching position as a kindergarten teacher for a school district in central Wisconsin. A year later, rather than continuing to take my 6 credits for renewing my certification, I decided to get my masters degree. I had thought many times about this but had not got much past the "looking at it" stage. The program had to work out both with my home life including time, distance from home and finances. It had to be something that I was really passionate about or else I would not have the sustained interest. The Technology In Education Masters program from Lesley University, Cambridge, MA was the program for me. We met one weekend a month with 2 weekends equaling one 3 credit class. We had professors come to us from all over the United States teaching a class that they were experts in. This masters program started me on my journey into technology in education.

Just a few months after I started the masters program, my principal requested that I switch teaching positions and become the computer teacher for 3 elementary schools in the school district. With an enthusiastic and spirited desire, I started. I have never looked back.

We never know how things are going to turn out. I have had many trials and tribulations but I have never regretted my decision to take a different road. I am starting my 7th year doing a job that I love! The computer and technology that is a part of our lives, is allowing me to make a positive impact on the students and staff in our district. I am lucky!

My sons are now in college, majoring in computer science and software engineering. Our entire lives have been affected by technology in really positive ways. My daughter is passionate about technology as well. I often get a glimpse into what life is life in the eyes of a teenager today. I am grateful for that. It is interesting to think about how things started and how the world has changed. I look forward to continuing the journey - which direction will it go?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to share about your journey in this life. It was insightful and delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are very insightful. Your journey as a blogger is off to a great start. You have a very busy summer ahead of you, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete