Wednesday, January 20, 2010

a memory

My paternal grandmother passed a few years ago at the age of 94 or so. I have wonderful vivid memories of growing up just down the street from her and my grandpa. In her living room was this candy dish. I would open it up and inside would be "beautiful to look at but not very delicious to eat" hard candies.
Grandma invited us grandchildren to pick something from her home to keep as a memento of her life and this candy dish is what I chose. A few years after she gave it to me we were speaking on the phone and this came up in the conversation. Grandma insisted that it was never used for candy but instead it was a butter dish and that my memory was faulty. It was a wedding gift. I want to trust my memory but when someone like grandma tells you you're crazy, it is hard to know if what you remember was true or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment