Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Who knew?

Each of us has ups and downs in life. That is what makes life, life. You know that the time will come for your kids to grow up and leave you. It is what should be and something that in my heart I wanted for them. This does not mean that I was looking forward to the day that they would leave. I love being a mom. I like the caretaking role and sharing in what makes them who they are. Our sons left together for college more than 4 years ago and our daughter, only 4 months ago. It was a big adjustment for me personally. I had the gamut of emotions. I don't think that I really ever got depressed or sad but I did miss the every day contact that had been a part of our family life for so many years. The contact is still there, but it has changed.
I had other interests beyond my children of course. I did not have something though that I had put off doing or wanting to do until they moved out. An activity or hobby of sorts has changed my life in a good way. Who knew?? I did not expect this nor did anyone else that knows me think that I would become a runner. I am however, excited and passionate about running.  If you don't run, you don't want to hear about it. I can understand that.
I have signed up for a Stevens Point Frostbite 10 mile race December 3rd and I am training, running and planning on finishing strong at the La Crosse Fitness Festival - Marathon on the Mississippi on May 6th, 2012. There is something about running that makes me feel strong and I also like the mental and physical challenge of it. If you knew me before this whole running thing took over my life, you never would have guessed that I would be the person who would go for a long(for me) 8 mile run on a cool Saturday morning  and have the drive to be training for a marathon. Running was for other people- crazy people, people that looked great in shorts and leggings,  people who ate healthy, people that wanted to punish themselves, people that were not me. Who knew??

No comments:

Post a Comment