Monday, June 10, 2013

I'm back

\
So 6 weeks ago I sprained my foot falling off a ledge. This was after running the half marathon(13.1 miles) with my husband. I could/can run obviously, but not walk and carry stuff at the same time.
Brrrrrrrrr!
Here we are at the start of the race. It was foggy, darn right cold, teeth chattering and bone chilling 7a.m. at the start of the race. John had injured his knee and was hoping to just finish which was fine with me. I wanted to complete the distance and be supportive of him.

We did it!
I had been running and training for races for the past year and a half. I stopped abruptly due to this.

not pretty :(
 For 2 weeks I could not put on a regular shoe. I had an x-ray and while nothing was broken (only a sprained foot) I could only hobble around and put very little pressure on my foot. Looking back, I had high expectations that I would be running or at least walking real good in a week. Quickly my hopes faded. My foot did not improve. It throbbed, got more swollen, lovely bruising colors and more painful as the days wore on. I did all the things I should- resting my foot on a pillow, ice (heat after a few days), ibuprofen, more rest, little movement...
This is the racing/running season. I had google alerts, blogs, magazines, feeds from many places filling my waking hours~ all related to running. Here I was unable to run. I was in mental and physical distress. I would like to think that I was a reasonable human being but I know that sometimes I was not. I was sad, frustrated and ugly. I was envious, jealous and mean. I did not always show how I was feeling inside. I wanted to run and I knew that my foot had to heal first so I tried to be patient. For the most part, I did okay. I had a few times that I walked too long or far and paid for it later. 
The good news is that this morning I woke up and ran 2 miles. It was not particularly pretty or fast. In fact I was slow and steady and I am just fine with that. I will do it again tomorrow. I am not 100%. My foot tells me that. It did not throb or swell from the run so that is my sign that I am back. Truthfully, I'm not better than before, but I am back to doing something that I love. I will try to be patient and build back slowly. It is a journey that I travel~slow or fast, I start anew :)

No comments:

Post a Comment